2015 music festival lineup predictions

Coachella's lineup hints at what music fans can expect at other festivals this summer. (Photo courtesy of COACHELLA VALLEY MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL)
Coachella’s lineup hints at what music fans can expect at other festivals this summer. (Photo courtesy of COACHELLA VALLEY MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL)

Summertime might seem far away, but the release of Coachella’s lineup today marks the beginning of music festival season and lineup predictions.

Around the beginning of November, I begin compile information on lineups much like sports fans presumably fret over their fantasy league draft. I know, it’s a strange hobby, but one I have gotten quite good at over the years.

The method

Coachella’s lineup release is significant as it hints at who will be making the rounds this festival season, and allows for more sure-fire extrapolation from tour lineups. Catering to a similar demographic as Lollapalooza, the Indio, California festival traditionally shares a headliner or two with Lollapalooza. 

Bonnaroo began hinting at artists through its annual “Roo Clues” leading up to Christmas. As opposed to some near impossible haikus from years past, from the twelve clues, seven bands seem set. The remainder of Bonnaroo’s lineup was pulled from Inforoo, the Bonnaroo message board or extrapolated from Coachella.

Pitchfork Music Festival usually pulls some of its favorite artists as undercards, in addition to one pop headliner and one classic headliner.

Guessing any of Chicago’s local EDM festivals — such as Spring Awakening Music Festival or North Coast Music Festival — would be just that: a guess. Oftentimes these festivals repeat artists and DJs. Riot Fest is too far away to make any educated prediction.

As many artists have already been confirmed, do not read further if you would like to avoid spoilers. Here are my predictions for Lollapalooza, Pitchfork Music Festival and Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.

Bonnaroo 

Somewhat confirmed

Alabama Shakes
Beach House
Benjamin Booker
Belle & Sebastian
Between the Buried and Me
Bleachers
Caribou
Flume
Glass Animals
Houndmouth
ilovemakonnen
Mac DeMarco
Of Verona
RL Grime
Robert Plant
Run the Jewels
Strand of Oaks
The War on Drugs
Trampled by Turtles

Predicted

Arcade Fire
Dan Deacon
Death Cab for Cutie
Father John Misty
Panda Bear
Parquet Courts
Primus & the Chocolate Factory
Tame Impala
Weezer

Pitchfork

Predicted

Caribou
Drake
Flying Lotus
Foxygen
How to Dress Well
Mac DeMarco
Panda Bear
Parquet Courts
Perfume Genius
Run the Jewels
Sleater-Kinney
Swans
Todd Terje
The War on Drugs

Lollapalooza

Predicted

Alt-J
Jack White
Pharrell Williams
St. Vincent
Tame Impala
The Orwells