WBB adds three players and two coaches for 2023 season

+Graduate+forward+Brynn+Masikewich+is+the+team%E2%80%99s+seventh+recruit+for+the+2023+season.+She+averaged+1.7+points+last+season+at+UCLA.

@BRYNNMASIKEWICH | TWITTER

Graduate forward Brynn Masikewich is the team’s seventh recruit for the 2023 season. She averaged 1.7 points last season at UCLA.

DePaul women’s basketball finalized its 2023-24 roster of both players and staff, as its coaching staff added two assistant head coaches and two players in a matter of a week. 

Kate Clarke, Grace Carstensen, Katlyn Gilbert, Sumer Lee, Brynn Masikewich, Shakara McCline, Charlece Ohiaeri and Michelle Sidor round out the new incoming players. 

Ashton Millender and Bradley Bruno were added to the Blue Demons coaching staff. Both had previously coached and played under head coach Doug Bruno. Millender, a former standout from 2014-19 returns to DePaul after serving as a graduate assistant for the 2022-23 season. 

“Ashton Millender was a key contributor as a player, leading DePaul to five NCAA Tournaments including a Sweet 16 appearance,” said Bruno. “Ashton did a fantastic job this season as a graduate assistant, after spending three summers as one of our best camp coaches while also playing professionally for three years.”

For Bradley Bruno, the son of coach Bruno returns after two seasons as an assistant coach at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. While there, he served as a post positional group coach, overseeing recruiting efforts and assisting with all aspects. 

“I’m so grateful to be back at my alma mater,” said Bradley Bruno. “DePaul is such a special place with amazing people and resources. I can’t wait to hit the ground running to help develop the student-athletes both on and off the court and continue the success of DePaul women’s basketball.”

A notable player that has committed to DePaul is the 5-foot-10 guard Gilbert. A former Missouri and Notre Dame player from Indianapolis, Gilbert has a total of 83 career games played and 39 starts. She has a career average of 7.6 points per game in her collegiate career. 

She was a McDonald’s All American in 2018 after averaging 18 ppg at Heritage Christian High School. 

Masikewich joins the Blue Demons squad with one season left of eligibility after spending her time at UCLA. From Calagry, Alberta in Canada, she appeared in over 33 games for the Bruins and only one start as she battled injuries in her sophomore and junior year. 

She was a four star recruit coming out of high school in Lincoln Prep. Masikewich brings her 6-foot-3 frame with experience playing in the PAC-12. 

“I chose DePaul because of its long-standing legacy and how the program continues to establish itself heading into the future,” Masikewich said. “I am excited to continue learning under the amazing coaching staff and look forward to their help as I continue to expand on my game. I am planning on studying communications and media arts which is a passion of mine outside of basketball. I’m excited to develop lifelong friendships with my teammates and being part of the city culture and environment that Chicago has to offer.” 

After losing seven players to the portal from the 2022-2023 season, DePaul lost guards, forwards and lots of versatility. 

Making up for the scoring from Darrionne Rogers and Aneesah Morrow will be key for Bruno and his squad next season. 

Fans have even taken to social media to give thoughts on how the team could get past the players who have left and bring in the new season.

“The only way to remedy that is to reset and get back to running sets that encourage more ball movement and more motion,” said the owner of a popular DePaul sports social media account, who requested anonymity. “Try to get shooters open and play more of a team game.” 

From Las Vegas, Nevada, Ohiaeri is a freshman joining the Blue Demons team at 6-foot-1 and helped guide her Centennial High School to three-consecutive state championships. 

Clarke, another Michigan University transfer, joins teammate at DePaul Michelle Sidor as they both played in Ann Arbor. 

With three seasons left of eligibility, Clarke brings a shooting ability that the team will miss after the departure of Kendall Holmes. 

“Kate Clarke Is an excellent three-point shooter,” Bruno said. “Like so many of our DePaul Ball three-point shooters, Kate has the versatility to get to the rim and has an excellent intermediate game. Keeping with our transfer portal philosophy, we had a previous relationship with Kate having recruited her out of high school.”

As the Blue Demons look to move on to build something new for the 2023-24 season, DePaul will see a large number of new faces. 

Looking to get back to winning ways in Bruno’s upcoming 38th season is the goal for DePaul along with an eventual NCAA Tournament appearance. 

“I think the new roster will make a huge change next year,” Jonatha Keeton, DePaul women’s manager, said. “Losing our one two punch is big but we have the talent and hard workers to fulfill those roles. We want to do one thing next year, and that’s win.”