Freshman phenom: Freshman Pat Moore mows down batters

DePaul’s freshman pitcher Pat Moore delivers a pitch at Cacciatore Stadium early this season. Through 93 innings pitched, the Oregon native leads the team with 121 strikeouts. (Steve Woltmann | DePaul Athletics)

Since their solid start this season, DePaul’s softball team has had great success against competitors like Villanova and Seton Hall. Now, with less than a month in the season to go, the team is preparing to uphold its position in the Big East Tournament.

For his part, head coach Eugene Lenti says he’s looking to keep the momentum going.

“We usually have the same goals each year. We want to become the Big East champions and advance as far as we can in the NCAA Tournament,” he said.

This season the Blue Demons have been backed by a number of solid, well-rounded players, and an influx of freshman skill.

Among this season’s recent addition to the Blue Demon family is Oregon native Pat Moore. Having played softball since the age of six, the freshman pitcher has been showcasing her talent on an off the field. As a freshman Moore has brought a positive effect to the team’s pitching staff. She is the only freshman pitcher, sharing the position alongside senior Kennedy Garcia and sophomore Missy Zoch.

Moore has been settling in as both an athlete and as a freshman this year,  learning how to balance academics, athletics and her social life. While the changes have been substantial and it has sometimes been difficult for her being so far from home,, Moore has found herself taking advantage of support both on campus and on the field.

“(College) is definitely different from high school,” Moore said. “But there are good resources and coaches to help you and keep you on track.”

As one of several freshman additions to the softball team Moore has been settling into the DePaul community as a Blue Demon this season. Since transitioning to DePaul, like many freshman students Moore is adjusting. A long ways from home, Moore misses her family, but says that the transition has not been huge. Part of this can be attributed to fellow teammates and coaches at DePaul who have made the transition much easier for the freshman.

As the season progresses and she matures as a player, Moore is finding ways to stay motivated and challenge herself as a player. She’s looked to the upperclassmen on the team for both inspiration and improving her game.

“I stay motivated just seeing the older girls out there putting in work,” Moore said. “This season as a whole has been good. I’ve been getting good experience.”

Before a big game, Moore says she gets energized from the music playing in the locker room. She doesn’t have a particular song or pre-game playlist that she listens to but she does gravitate towards country music.

“Country music is calming,” she said.

Moore’s teammates speak highly of her as well.

I love Pat,” Garcia said. “She’s a good strikeout pitcher … Her competitiveness and drive as a team player is great. She’s always there to pick up other players if it’s a bad day.”

And Zoch, who was in Moore’s position just last year as a freshman, similarly speaks highly of the young pitcher

“She definitely shows her youngness a little bit more, but has a good fight to become a better player. She throws the hardest and is really positive. Adding Pat has added depth to the pitching staff,” said Zoch.

It’s that diverse pitching staff that has greatly assisted the team’s success this season, with Moore playing a key role the roster’s versatility. Through the Blue Demon’s April 8 matchup against Georgetown, the freshman boasts a 2.18 ERA and 121 strikeouts in 93 innings pitched.

“Pat is different from the other two pitchers,” said head coach Eugene Lenti. “She’s left handed and she’s an up pitcher. She’s very athletic, quick, and strong for her size.”

Moore’s abilities on the field will continue to be vital, as the team prepares to compete against St. Johns and Butler in the wake of their successful conference matchup against Villanova.

In the meantime, Moore is definitely a player to watch.

“She’s strong, and one of the best freshman to watch as a pitcher,” Garcia said. “She’s fierce.”

One Response to “Freshman phenom: Freshman Pat Moore mows down batters”

1. Doris Carter on August 7th, 2018 10:21 am

Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was alll because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

• Freshman phenom: Freshman Pat Moore mows down batters

Softball

Former player returns as coach

Softball

Blue Demons name new softball coach

Showcase

Lenti makes sudden exit after more than 30 years

Softball

Greenwood Named Google Cloud Academic All-American

Softball

Softball eliminated from regionals

Softball

Moore, Greenwood tabbed as All-Great Lakes Region honorees

Showcase

Champs again: Softball takes home second-consecutive Big East Championship title

Softball

Freshman Focus

Softball

DePaul secures NCAA Tournament berth with title game win over Creighton

Softball

DePaul advances to the Big East tournament championship for second year in a row