Hot Girl Autumn DeJamz

Happy (almost) Scorpio season to my favorite emotional, mysterious water sign babes! To honor the cozy fall vibes that are upon us and to give my wonderful Scorpio babies a little extra love, I have compiled a combination of girly music for those who are equal parts feeling themselves and impending their seasonal depression. Forget hot girl summer; it’s hot girl fall! 

“Angel” by Little Simz 

Little Simz gets it when she says, “Guess that’s in my nature being a water sign” in her bop from her latest album, “No Thank You.” I recently saw Little Simz at the Riviera after not being that familiar with her music, and it changed my life. This is the perfect song to sway along to as you take the Brown Line downtown for your Loop night class. Simz’s melodic beats and smooth bars provide the perfect mix of emotion and mystery that encapsulates us complicated Scorpio girlies. 

“In My Feelings” by Lana Del Ray

Similar to my Little Simz concert experience, seeing Lana at Lollapalooza marked a new era of my life, one where I listen to obscene amounts of her music every day and am increasingly emotional yet confident. Lana’s unhinged emotions in this song really resonate with what it is like to be a water sign. If you’re lucky like me and you’re a triple water sign (no, I’m not okay), Lana’s lyrics work for any time of year. But, something about Lana’s prose in “In My Feelings” is the perfect empowerment for the days when you feel like the world is against you and you feel like being particularly dramatic and just a tad crazy on a chilly day to hype yourself up. 

“Why Don’t You” by Cleo Sol

It’s no secret that Cleo Sol has one of the most beautiful voices in the R&B game right now. “Why Don’t You” is a chill bop with a classic hip-hop beat and beautiful orchestral additions. Don’t be fooled, though, Cleo Sol might sound like she’s singing bars about rainbows and butterflies, but her lyrics will hype you up to stand up for yourself while still being the emotional girlies we can all be sometimes. She will take you through a journey of growing into yourself, which is my personal goal for this Scorpio season. 

“Chevy S10” by Sudan Archives 

Straying away from being emotional and moody, Scorpios also hold a passion and happiness that can’t be ignored. Sudan Archives provides the perfect girly bop, but is not too upbeat, so you can still maintain your mysterious girl status if someone asks you what you’re listening to while walking around campus. “Chevy S10” provides the soundtrack for when you’re really leaning into your more obsessive side this cuffing season. Sudan Archives’ voice, beat and lyrics in this song will make you strut in your perfect fall outfit.

“Yesterday” by Noname  

Chicago-native rapper Noname, in my humble opinion, has the best bars out of any other rapper in the game. I am willing to debate this, take a listen if you don’t believe me. “Yesterday” from Noname’s debut album Telefone has been engraved in my mind since middle school. I always gravitate more towards Noname’s nostalgic anthem in the colder months, when I am feeling particularly reminiscent of my childhood autumn. Her bars and a melodic, soulful chorus will make your heart ache in the way only a good song can. Also, make sure to snag tickets for her tour, she’ll be at the Vic Nov. 24.