Movie Musical DeJamz

I am yet another victim of the theater kid to DePaul film bro pipeline and it's a fate I do not wish upon anyone. Whenever the “Hamilton” soundtrack starts playing, it's like a sleeper agent is activated as I involuntarily sing along word for word. Simultaneously, any mention of an A24 movie can start a ramble so long it required a podcast just to spare bystanders from the torture. Ever since I began this lifestyle, I’ve been trying to find a way to merge my two dueling identities into one peak form. Here is where the grandeur and glory of movie musicals falls into play. Without further adieu, the show must go on and your ears must be blessed.

“Sweet Transvestite” from “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”

Are you even a DePaul film bro or theatre kid if you haven’t seen a screening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” with a shadow cast at the Music Box Theatre? Not only will it become a core memory from your freshman year of college but it'll also become your go to conversation starter to sound more educated on cult classics than you actually are. While some of the movie’s tropes definitely don't hold up today, it still reigns supreme as one of the most iconic movie musicals ever made.

“I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” from “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”

My high school history teacher made the mistake of playing this movie in class not knowing it has one of the most contagious earworm songs ever recorded. For the rest of the school year, every time I entered that classroom I subconsciously began humming it under my breath simply because it was too catchy to forget. The soundtrack might honestly be more popular than the movie it came from, which is impressive considering “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” has what I believe is George Clooney’s best performance. 

“Man or Muppet” from “The Muppets”

You know that commentary piece from America’s finest news source, The Onion, about the collector trying to buy a cd of the Muppet Movie soundtrack during an ebay bidding war? No, just me? I think about that satire article every single goddamn day. To the credit of The Onion, I do appreciate The Muppets on a much deeper level than you. This, my dear reader, is why I must spread the whimsy and joy I feel from this song. 

“Would You?” from “Singin’ in the Rain”

I can’t make a movie musical DeJamz without including at least one golden age cinema movie. “Singin’ in the Rain” is easily my favorite movie from this time period and listening to this soundtrack is the only thing getting me through the gloomy spring weather. While I could be boring and put the film’s titular song on the playlist, “Would You” is simply too beautiful to resist. With its wonderful orchestral intro, gorgeous vocals from Betty Noyes, and its inherent classic feel, this is the pinnacle of what a perfect movie musical can be.

“I’m So Sad, So Very, Very, Sad” from “Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World”

I created the rules on what qualifies as a movie musical so I’m technically not wrong. This soundtrack is so undeniably fantastic that my dad actually bought it for me on vinyl and I listen to it more frequently than I care to admit. While “I’m So Sad, So Very, Very, Sad” isn’t actually a good example of what this movie musical has to offer, it sure is the funniest choice I could’ve made. If you don’t listen to anything else from this playlist, waste 13 seconds of your time for this one in my honor.

Subscribe to The DePaulia's Newsletter